Music has always played a central part in the life of our church. There has been an organ here since before 1500; Handel and possibly even Mozart both played on the Schreider organ of 1727; and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields was founded here in the 1950’s by Sir Neville Marriner and the then Master of Music John Churchill. The breadth of musical activity at St Martin’s is astonishing.
As well as the regular pattern of music in worship, St Martin’s hosts three lunch time concerts a week, the longest running free recital programme in the UK, and at least three evening concerts each week.
The Church Music Department at St Martin’s has a wide and varied programme of activity covering the complete range of liturgical music from traditional Choral Evensong to developing music to work with interesting and creative contemporary liturgies. We strive for excellence in our music: the clergy, musicians and congregation are committed that music’s place is in the wider service of the liturgy of which it is part.