Adam Dant – The Return of London at St Martin-in-the-Fields Exhibition
Saturday 01 May 2021
Saturday 31 July 2021
Supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund
The Return of London
We are delighted to announce Adam Dant‘s solo exhibition – The Return of London at the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields. A collection of limited edition prints and original drawings including maps that salute London’s Theatres, Lost Rivers and bustling London Squares.
Adam has created a brand new commemorative map to mark the 300th anniversary of the first foundation stone being laid at the Church of St Martin-in-the-Fields.
Unveiled for all to enjoy for the first time at The St-Martin-in-the-Fields Crypt Gallery ‘The Novel Map of the Parish of St Martin in the Fields’ forms the exciting centrepiece for an exhibition of the artist’s lively depictions of London public spaces. Using Dant’s novel map, visitors are encouraged to revive the tradition of ‘beating the bounds’ of The Parish of St-Martin in the Fields, walking its perimeter so to reaffirm their memory of the streets and sights that have lain unvisited through a year of lockdown.
Visitors to the exhibition will also be able to enjoy large scale prints from Dant’s series of depictions of ‘London Squares’ including, on show for the first time, his depiction of the vibrant tumult and turmoil of nearby Leicester Square. The exhibition is the perfect way to celebrate a return to our extraordinary capital after twelve long months and salute St Martin-in-the-Fields’ significant 300th anniversary.
Adam Dant – The Return of London at the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 4JH Open daily 12 – 5pm
- Adam is an international renowned artist whose large-scale narrative drawings and prints can be found in the collections of the Victoria & Albert Museum, Tate, the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and the Musée d’Art Contemporain de Lyon as well as many leading private collections including that of HRH The Prince of Wales
- Adam was the recipient of a prestigious Rome Scholarship in etching and engraving, is a winner of the Jerwood Drawing Prize and in 2015 was appointed by the UK Parliament as official artist of the General Election
- Dant’s ‘Maps of London and Beyond’ book was awarded the gold award at the 2018 International Creative Media Awards and First prize in the travel category at the 2019 Catholic Herald book awards
- Limited edition prints are published by TAG Fine Arts and available at www.tagfinearts.com
- ‘The Return of London’ exhibition will be on view in the Crypt at St Martin-in-the-Fields, from 12pm to 5pm, from May 1st, and will run throughout Summer at St Martin’s (Entrance via the glass Pavilion on St Martin’s Path)
- The church’s famous Courtyard will be open for food and refreshments during exhibition hours
- The St Martin’s Shop will be stocked with several new, bespoke ‘beating the bounds’ gifts
- Nearest London Underground stations; Charing Cross, Embankment and Leicester Square
Other things to do
Join St Martin's Players and narrator Zeb Soanes in a romp through Prokofiev's family favourite Peter and the Wolf.
Visit our online digital platform St Martin's Digital for live-streamed church services on Sundays at 10.00am and Wednesdays at 6.30pm, Great Sacred Music, lectures, meditations and more.
Join us for a celebration of the spirit of St Martin’s. This fundraiser for St Martin's features beautiful music, inspiring spoken word and some very special guests.